Hello, and welcome to Gushi on dreamwidth. I would have used the user-account tag for that, but I don't honestly know what the tag for it is. Using <lj-user="gushi"> doesn't make sense, does it? It does in a way, kinda, since that would make it compatible with other clients. However, I'd also like a way that I could cross-site link. I've got 300+ friends on Livejournal, and I'd like to be able to link to them there with a tag.
So, here's the big problems thusfar.
- First and foremost, I don't have a client for it. I'm going to probably modify jlj for this.
- Secondly, while there's a "reading page" here, the DreamWidth analog of your LJ friends-page, but I see no way of adding LiveJournal accounts to that page. Even if one were to add every LJ's RSS feed, that doesn't get you restricted entries. Livejournal claims that if you use an RSS reader that does digest authentication, you can read an individual journal's rss feed, but there's no way to rss-syndicate your friends page AND do authentication. So Dreamwidth would have to log in and trawl each of your friends page under your LJ account. This is probably not possible, and it certainly defeats the purpose of RSS.
- Third, looking over some of my entries, they just don't fit in the scaling. For example, this entry is problematic. There's a strong lack of alternative styles.
- While there's an import tool, there's no easy way to "unimport" things and reset your journal to blank after an import, nor to tell either via a tag or some other manner which entries were "born here" and which were "adopted".
- From glancing over the FAQ, it looks like there's heavy dependence on the admin_console. This makes sense, it's easier to code for, rather than trying to put hooks to do things in multiple places and multiple styles.
- No permanent accounts. There was a sale once, but the admins claim they will not hold another. Honestly, I believe in this project, and I want to show more support than the paid account I've already bought, but I would like to be able to hold out hope for this.
- No phone support. While I'm not against the "old" mode of voice post transcription, where your friends do it for you, I have literally been able to update my LJ via voiceposts from hospital rooms where I don't know if I'll survive the night. I'm not ready to give that up.
- No way to specify that entries are being crossposted. This entry, posted to LiveJournal, has no extra text to mark it as such (other than the tag I set on DreamWidth, "native dreamwidth entries", but that was not set in any crosspost setting, it's just a tag I set to solve another problem above.) Thankfully, it at least LOOKS like when I edit an entry here, it updates the entry on LJ as well.
Sadly, each and every one of those is a show-stopper for me. I believe every one of them is fixable, but it's going to take time.
I haven't managed to figure out yet what I will use to differentiate this between Gushi-here and Gushi on Livejournal. Right now, I'll probably be mostly crossposting, which gives no advantage to my friends to kick it over to here. I'm tempted to be better to this journal than I have to my previous: always using tags, always setting moods, and the like. Perhaps making sure each entry is written syntactically valid, in the same style, with auto-formatting turned off.
I have several invite codes available, let me know if you want one. Other than that, well, in the word of a gryphon: That's about all I have to say about that.
Ferret One Out!